Practice makes perfect :-)

>> April 13, 2009

She softened gradually, melting in the light of the sun, all the while thinking, O, this is what it's like to be a planet & suddenly it was over & the universe expanded by one.

My kids are to getting so sick of me chasing them around with a camera! But there is so much to learn when it comes to photography. Just clicking the shutter is only the beginning. Well that's not entirely true. It's sort of the middle because first you need to pay attention to your surroundings and more importantly your light. Getting your lighting right can make all the difference in a picture. Bad light can just ruin it! So with that said I have been trying some side lighting like in the picture above. The problem that can arise if you are not careful is one half the face in a shadow and the other half way over exposed. Another tricky lighting situation is backlighting. This can be beautiful but it can also ruin a picture with the background too over exposed and the subject in unflattering shadows.

The other thing I have been working on is my processing skills. The trick with processing is to enhance the picture, not edit it to a point of looking fake. Processing is a personal thing and everyone does it differently. I really enjoy a de-saturated look. Almost vintage but not too much! I am currently trying to learn how to use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I have been using Lilyblue's presets and actions. Her photo's are very close to what I want for mine.

I hope you don't all get sick of seeing my kids. Hopefully very soon I will have some sessions with other children to show you all!!
xo Sebrina

9 comments:

Mickey (Michel) Johnson April 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM  

...great photo and i could never get sick of looking at those sweet faces. i love that you don't want to edit to the point that it looks fake...a mistake in my mind:) thanks for sharing. mickey

Sharon April 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM  

How can anyone get sick of seeing beautiful photographs of beautiful children? Practice on!

Funny you should mention Lilyblue. I was looking at her site today. I do love her look and have some of her actions but I don't use then very often. I can never seen the find the right subject for that look. Then again, I seem to go for saturated color these days.

Barb April 14, 2009 at 7:19 AM  

I'll never get sick of my babies. Beautiful picture of our princess. Mom xo

kosenrufu mama April 14, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Your photos are always so great, I love all of them, they are full of magical meaning! Thank you for sharing them!

Toni April 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Oh, I don't think you need to worry about us getting sick of seeing your kids - your photos of them are always wonderful.

Memories Of Mine April 15, 2009 at 8:16 AM  

Nice shot. I agree you can't get sick of adorable kids photos.

If you are having trouble with side lighting, I would recommend getting a reflector.

Kelly Sauer April 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

no, not sick; they are blessed to have you for a mom...

Oh, and I tagged you today in a post...

Kelly Sauer April 15, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

lol - but it looks like you already got tagged! Oh well!

Colleen April 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

i don't think it would be possible to get tired of looking at those cute faces, especially the wonderful and creative photos you take of them. keep 'em comin'
:-)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP