"I will always remember the day the sun shone dark on your hair & I forgot where we were & kissed you lightly on the nose

>> April 17, 2009

& suddenly there was no more secret" ~story people~

3449582215_98c73da4d7_o


Seems lately that I am utterly obsessed with light! Even when I don't have my camera I am studying people to see how the light is falling on their faces. I took the kids to the park today at about 11:00am. The sun was bright and gorgeous.. but that does not make for a good picture so I didn't bring my camera. But at one moment I saw my oldest son Ryan standing up on the top of the slide and I thought how great a picture it would have made, but then I looked at him closely and saw all the dark shadows under his eyes from the high sun. I walked around to see if their was a better angle, but there wasn't. The only way I could have made that shot would have been to get a reflector under his face to push light back on him and fill out the shadows. Anyways regardless of whether I did or didn't have my camera or make the shot.. I am learning these invaluable tips.

Last night I took my son Jayden out at about 6:30pm, 1.5 hours before the sun set and that is my most favourite time to shoot. The sun is low, the light is golden.. it's wonderful!! I really wanted to try backlighting, probably my most favourite type of light but it can be tricky. I used my spot metering and metered for his skin. Then I converted to black and white in photoshop and used the dodge tool to bring some of the reflection back into his eyes. If I had a reflector this step would not have been necessary. I must put a reflector on my wish list :)

I hope you all have a lovely weekend!!! It is 18 degrees Celsius today and sunny and beautiful and I have been outside most of the day. Tonight we are going to the beach to get some sunset pictures with the kids!!


xo Sebrina

10 comments:

Alli April 17, 2009 at 3:05 PM  

You definitely have a gift and you use it well! Keep the obsession up it is paying off!

Barb April 17, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

Yet another great shot. Looking forward to seeing what you capture tonight. Mom xo

Sharon April 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

Beautifully lit!

I have a reflector and could not have done that well. ;)

Toni April 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

You definitely have the hang of a beautiful portrait shot. Reflectors are pretty inexpensive - $10-$60, depending on how large you think you need. If you buy from B&H, I'd be most appreciative if you went there through the link on my site. =) Just a small plug for me and B&H.

Eva April 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Such a beautiful shot! I can't wait to see your beach shots!

Anonymous,  April 18, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Sebrina Wilson April 18, 2009 at 6:45 AM  

Toni.. I am in Canada so the shipping from B&H would be a problem... but if I did order from there I would definitely go through your site :)

Stacey J. April 18, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Lovely backlighting. It's my favorite time and kind of shot to take as well.

Barb April 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

Hey, I was looking at this beautiful pic again and I can see your reflectionin J's eyes. Neat!

♥ Amy April 18, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

I, too, have an obsession with light and I, too, see every scene the way my camera might see it (whether I have my camera in hand or not). I must say that I have become a huge fan of your work since I discovered your photos recently. I fall asleep with your light-drenched photos dancing in my mind. Beautiful work! And beautiful children, too!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP