Body Image

>> March 10, 2009

a year of mornings 77:365

I wonder why we women struggle so much with body image. Why have I, for more then half my life, hated my body! How could I hate something that does so much for me. How can I hate my stomach when it helped to carry my lovely children. How can I hate my legs when they bring wherever I want to go. How can I hate my eyes when they allow to see this gorgeous world. What Do you see when you look in the mirror? Do you see the beauty inside? Do you put yourself down? I have been known to look in the mirror and say the most hurtful things to myself. Things I would never dream of saying to my friends.. and yet I say them to myself?

This year I have been on a journey to treat myself better. I put only healthy things into my body. I have tried to take this journey before but I wasn't ready.. but something is different this year. I can now look in the mirror and see beauty, finally after 32 years I can! I can look at this picture and not think "eww my legs are too long, not shapely enough, too skinny". Instead I see that they are beautiful! Since beginning this journey I have completely changed the way I eat.. and in turn I have lost 10 pounds, cleared my skin and have tons of energy!

My wish for all my friends is that you too can learn to love yourself. Learn to see beauty that we all have in us.

xo Sebrina

15 comments:

Barb March 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

What a beautiful post ~ I love that you are starting to love yourself like I do. You are a beautiful woman ... a fabulous mother ... a cherished daughter. And an amazing photgrapher. Mom xo

Anonymous,  March 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

First off, I want to say that this is such a beautiful image. I love the light, and this is a wonderful tribute to loving yourself!

I agree - we must all treat our bodies with the respect they deserve. Thanks for opening my eyes!

ELK March 10, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

nice shot Sebrina...isn't amazing how losing 10 lbs can help so much?! ELK

hazel March 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM  

OMG! Your legs are GORGEOUS!

Toni March 11, 2009 at 3:22 AM  

Well, maybe after I lose some weight. ;)

You have some mighty fine legs there, missy! And some very wise words.

Memories Of Mine March 11, 2009 at 6:39 AM  

I would love my self if I had legs like that!!

This is a really feminine shot. Simple and beautiful.

Alison March 11, 2009 at 11:26 PM  

Your words ring so true. Here's to everyone looking in the mirror and loving who they see!
P.S. I edited my lemonade award post because I forgot some details! Oops.
http://tisagoodlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/445.html

Wayfaring Wanderer March 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM  

I tend to avoid the mirror! haha

I am happy that you are becoming comfortable in your own skin. Since my injury, I have had trouble coming to terms with the turn my physical being has taken. I was in the best shape of my life when I was a rock climber! I had shapely, not to mention, rock hard EVERYTHING! haha

Anonymous,  March 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

okay you have fabulous legs!!!!!! I love that post. We owe it to our children to love ourselves.
Natasha

Anonymous,  March 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

following the trail left by GK i will say first that the image is incredibly lovely and feminine. i love that you used it to illustrate a post about being strong and healthy. i look in the mirror and photograph myself a lot. i am 55 and i have changed a great deal over the past 10 years. it is essential that i treat my body with respect as it does just what you said. it takes me through this life on two legs, with eyes and a heart. it isn't easy not to wish to be younger but... so it is life that we don't get to do it over again. good post and yes, beautiful legs :)

{Pure} Essence March 14, 2009 at 2:18 AM  

Beautiful Post Sebrina. Very moving and so much truth to it! :)

Something Like Normal March 14, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

Sebrina - Finally got to your new blog - I love it. I am 100% going to try that tuna/chick pea salad. I love both of them and NEVER thought of putting them together.
Ali

Virginia March 17, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

It took me 52+ years to finally say "I have a GREAT body" and mean it -- so you are ahead of the game -- FANTASTIC! And a terrific photographer to boot -- what wonderful legs!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP